When it comes to DIY, there are many times when we don’t have all of the necessary ingredients in the kitchen. Someday we’ll collect all the essential oils! But luckily there are always a handful of super simple DIY recipes that require few ingredients and ingredients that we’d be worried if you didn’t have. One such ingredient is baking soda. Just about everyone bakes, and if not, baking soda is often used for cleaning and crafts. Since this is a common household item, we found ten beauty uses for baking soda that you’ll wish you had always known about.
- Teeth whitening: Mix 1/4 cup baking soda with lemon juice from half a lemon. Use a Q-tip or cotton ball to apply the mixture to your teeth and wait 45 seconds before brushing your teeth.
- Clear acne: Moisten your face. Dip a towel in baking soda and rub it on your entire face. Rinse clean. Perform this routine at least once a week for best results.
- Eliminate blemishes: To quickly erase problem spots, combine 6-7 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Apply this solution to your face several times during the day.
- Get rid of yellow nails: Brush your nails with a toothbrush and baking soda to get rid of any yellow and to restore your cuticles.
- Whitening mouthwash: Baking soda will neutralize bacteria and freshen your breath. Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda, 3 drops of peppermint essential oil, and a glass of water to create the mouthwash.
- Remove blackheads: Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda with a few drops of water. Mix this until it becomes a thick paste. Apply it on the spots where you want to remove blackheads. After 10 minutes remove and rinse.
- Healing foot scrub: Add baking soda to warm water to create a foot soak that will heal calluses.
- Skin exfoliator: Mix 3 parts baking soda with 1 part water for an exfoliating body scrub that you can apply anywhere.
- Deodorant: Pat a little baking soda under your arms for an instantly fresh scent.
- Hair repair shampoo: Mix 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water in a squeeze bottle. Apply to wet hair all over and wait 1-3 minutes before rinsing. You’ll also need to wash with a vinegar rinse, which is composed of 1 part apple cider vinegar and 4 parts water. You can mix with essential oils to improve the scent. Rinse this out as well. This process will leave you with shiny, strong, and extremely healthy hair.