Many of us toil with acne throughout our teenage years and well into adulthood. Acne spots can be frustrating and humiliating–and it can often be tempting to pop them, even though this is one of the worst possible things we can do to our skin. Try fighting acne smarter, not harder, with our favorite spot treatments for acne.
These are the best acne spot treatment products
1. PLANT Apothecary’s NOT A SPOT Acne Treatment Mask: This mask contains activated charcoal to absorb oil, organic white basil oil to fight acne-causing bacteria, and white clay to clear away oil and dirt. To use it, start with clean, dry skin. Dab a little bit of the product onto affected areas, allow it to dry, and then rinse it away. While this product is super hardworking, it only contains three ingredients–so you’ll know you’re not damaging your skin with any harsh chemicals. ($24)
2. Dermalogica’s Overnight Clearing Gel: Dermalogica products are formulated by dermatologists to have the maximum possible impact with the purest ingredients. This product features tea tree oil and meadowsweet to fight acne-causing bacteria, biotin to regenerate cells, and caffeine and licorice to ease inflammation. To use this product, just apply a thin layer to your entire face, or concentrate on a specific area. ($51)
3. Murad’s Rapid Relief Acne Spot Treatment: This product features salicylic acid, and promises to reduce the appearance of blemishes within 4 hours. Along with the salicylic acid, it features thyme and pine to soothe irritation, and horse chestnut and oat extracts to relieve redness. To use it, just apply a thin layer to any affected areas 1-3 times per day. ($22)
DIY acne spot treatments
If you don’t want to shell out for an expensive product–or if you’re just obsessed with DIY–there are plenty of options for fighting acne with natural ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
1. Acne spot treatment with apple cider vinegar: For this treatment, you’ll need a clean washcloth, a mug, some hot water, and 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Pour the apple cider vinegar and water into the mug, and mix to combine. Then dip a corner of the washcloth into the water and wring it out gently, so that it’s still damp but not dripping. Wait until the washcloth cools down until it is still very warm, but not painful to touch. Hold it against the affected area until it cools, and then repeat for 10-20 minutes. Thanks to the vitamins and minerals in apple cider vinegar, this treatment yields extremely fast results!
2. Acne spot treatment with activated charcoal: This recipe, inspired by Holistic Health Herbalist’s DIY spot treatments, features activated charcoal to soak up excess oil. It also includes aloe vera gel to hydrate and soothe your skin without clogging your pores, and tea tree oil to fight off acne-causing bacteria. To make this spot treatment, combine 1 capsule of activated charcoal powder, ½ tablespoon of organic aloe vera gel, and 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. Apply the treatment to any affected areas, allow it to sink in for up to 30 minutes, and then rinse it away.
As you can see, there are plenty of products and DIY treatments for fighting stubborn acne spots. You can also boost your skin health and stave off acne by eating a balanced diet, taking a daily skin supplement, and getting the right amount of sleep and exercise. Do you have a secret acne spot treatment that you swear by? Let us know in the comments section below!