Dry skin can be accompanied by a range of irritating symptoms, from itching and redness to skin cracking. Luckily, there are plenty of ways for dry skin sufferers to get relief. Keep reading to discover how to care for dry skin, and to learn about our favorite body lotions for dry skin!
How to take care of dry skin
- Moisturize your skin: The right moisturizer will seal hydration into your skin, preventing it from becoming dry throughout the day.
- Hack your showers: Try to take no more than one ten-minute shower per day, and to avoid exposing your skin to hot water. Warm or lukewarm water is easier on your skin, and less likely to dry it out.
- Limit exposure to harsh products: Harsh dish soaps, detergents, and shower products can strip your skin of its natural barrier and cause irritation. If you’re suffering dry skin, you might want to search for unscented, natural alternatives that are free of harsh, synthetic chemicals.
- Limit exposure to heat sources: Fires and heating systems can also dry out your skin.
- Protect your skin from the cold: Keeping your skin protected from the elements can also help to ease dryness. Make sure to ear gloves in the winter to protect your hands from the climate.
Best lotions for dry skin
Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion 12% by Amlactin: AmLactin harnesses the power of alpha hydroxy acids to gently exfoliate your skin without causing irritation. This pH-balanced formula is gentle on dry, irritated skin–and with a 12% concentration of lactic acid, it’s sure to resurface your skin and promote healthy cell renewal. It’ll help to soften and condition dry skin, and even to remedy skin conditions like psoriasis and keratosis pilaris.
Daily Moisture Hand and Body Lotion by Curel: Fast-absorbing, non-greasy, and fragrance-free, this lotion is ideal for soothing sensitive skin. Curel helps to repair your skin’s natural moisture barrier, helping it to retain moisture over time. Sulfate-free, dye-free, and aluminum-free, this skin-healthy formula will restore your skin’s texture without causing irritation.
Indian Coconut Nectar Body Butter by Pacifica: This natural lotion by Pacifica features hyaluronic acid to gently resurface your skin while bolstering your skin’s protective barrier and promoting overall skin health. It also contains soothing aloe vera, oil-balancing jojoba oil, mineral-rich algae extract, and healing antioxidant vitamin E. It’s a nourishing and natural everyday option for worn-out skin that needs some relief.
Blood Orange Nourishing Body Cream by 100% Pure: This lotion features blood orange, a superfruit packed with antioxidants that can help to heal and replenish your skin. It contains a blend of skin-healthy, vitamin-rich, plant-based ingredients–like rejuvenating rosehip seed oil and circulation-stimulating rosemary. It also features soothing botanicals like aloe vera and avocado butter.
100% Raw Shea Butter by SheaMoisture: You could also simplify your skincare routine with this raw, USDA-certified organic shea butter. Packed with vitamins and essential fatty acids, it’s the perfect nighttime treatment to deeply restore dry, irritated skin. You could use this shea butter alone, or incorporate it in a DIY recipe!