Best semi permanent hair color removers you can make without leaving home
Looking to going back to your natural hair color because your new shade does not suit you? Are you looking to try a new color? Perhaps you are considering an ombre? You can restore your natural color in faster time without going through x-amount of washes.
Semi permanent hair color
A semi permanent hair color has many benefits for various reasons. It is less damaging to the hair and the color can last through 10 washes depending on how often you wash your hair.
There are two categories of semi permanent hair color:
- Some hair colorings contain only natural ingredients with little to no chemicals added. The henna plant is the primary ingredient used to add color to the hair. The results are temporary. Usages of semi permanent hair color made with natural hair dyes give the hair a more natural look with subtle color. In addition, henna nourishes the hair, preventing further damage.
- Usages of semi permanent hair color made with artificial hair dyes gives the hair a dense color that stays put a lot longer. These dyes contain involves little or no hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, and the chemical PPD, This is the chemical that is used in hair dyes which have been known to cause an allergic reaction in some cases. Always perform a patch test by mixing a small amount of hair color. Apply it with a cotton swab to a sensitive area like inside of the elbow. After 48 hours, see if there is a reaction. If the skin is burning, itchy, or red, do not use. You will want to quickly remove the color from the hair with the best method possible.
The results will vary depending on the shade of hair color you have to begin with. These dyes only add color to the outer layer of the hair shaft. A semi permanent hair color is not used for bleaching or lifting the hair more than a couple of shades. It contains no harsh ammonias or bleach as an ingredient. Only a permanent color can penetrate the shaft to lighten the hair. This is why semi permanent hair color is known to be gentler on the hair.
DIY Semi Permanent Hair color Remover
If you are one of those people who made a hair color “oops” and now your home is a hideout until your new hair color fades, this information is for you. There are different ways to remove semi permanent hair color without excessive damage. When removing the hair color, always seek to reduce the color, not strip it so that it will not affect the natural color underneath. Some solutions come off a shelf but the best removers you can make are at home with just a few simple ingredients.
Vitamin C Tablets, Shampoo, Virgin Olive Oil, and Conditioner:
- Warm the virgin olive oil in a microwavable dish. Leave the oil in your hair for 15 minutes before rinsing out with hot water.
- Mix enough shampoo with two or more crushed vitamin C tablets. Cover the hair and let the mixture sit for one hour before rinsing. Repeat until the semi permanent hair color has faded. Use a moisture rich conditioner afterward.
Shampoo, Virgin Olive Oil, Conditioner, Lemon Juice or Vinegar:
- Wash the hair repeatedly with shampoo and conditioner. Rinse with hot water.
- Follow the directions in option #1 to apply the hot oil treatment.
- Use vinegar or lemon juice and coat the hair. Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes and rinse the hair with hot water. Repeat the first step until the color has faded.