how many hairs do you lose in a day
Image: iiii iiii /

Though it may sound like a contradiction, losing hair is a totally natural part of the hair growth cycle. Hair grows during the anagen phase, follicles shrink during the catagen phase and hair rests during the telogen phase. When the exogen phase rolls around, resting hair falls out but do not fret – it normally makes way for the new hair to take its place.

Generally, 50 to 100 strands is the answer to the question, how many hairs do you lose in a day. This is completely normal and it goes for both women and men. Considering that the scalp contains about 100,000 hairs, this sort of shedding is no sweat. You will notice regular shedding when you shampoo, comb or brush your hair, or when you wake up to find a few strays on your pillow after a good night’s sleep.

At any given time, about 90 percent of the hair on your head is in a growth phase, leaving 10 percent to rest or shed. If you are curious about how many hairs do you lose in a day, perform a simple test at home. Take hold of about 60 strands of hair; pull the hair and run your fingers through it. You should lose about five to eight hairs. Pulling out more than 15 hairs using this test indicates above-average shedding.

If you experience above-average shedding, it may be a result of temporary stress or it may be a sign of long-term hair loss. With the former result, excessive shedding is known as telogen effluvium. This occurs after major stressors such as childbirth, serious illness, surgeries or rapid weight loss. This type of shedding typically reverses itself within nine months as the body recovers from the stress.

On the other hand, anagen effluvium happens when something stops the hair from growing. This type of loss continues until the cause of the stoppage is treated. Hereditary hair loss, the most common type of anagen effluvium, falls into this category. In this case, men will notice a receding hairline and thinning on the crown, while women experience overall diffuse thinning or hairline thinning behind the bangs.

If you experience a significant increase in how many hairs do you lose in a day, due to shedding, visit your dermatologist. A qualified dermatologist can make an accurate prognosis on how many hairs do you lose in a day and determine whether your hair is temporary or long-term. They will recommend individually tailored treatment methods to get your hair growing back on track.

Natural Remedies to Try

Hair Oil Massage

The best way to reduce your hair fall is to massage the scalp with the right hair oil. Proper massage of the hair and scalp will condition them and increase the blood flow to the hair follicles. This will enhance the strength of the hair roots.

Use coconut, almond, or olive oil for hair massage. You can add a few drops of rosemary essential oil as the base oil for faster and better results.

Jojoba Oil

Jojoba oil is also a powerful home remedy for treating hair fall. It produces a powerful effect on the hair growth when rubbed into the hair strands and the scalp, particularly at the spot where there is more hair loss.

Indian Gooseberry

For fast and natural hair growth, use Indian gooseberry. It is rich in vitamin C, the deficiency of which can cause severe hair loss.

The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, exfoliating, and antibacterial properties of Indian gooseberry can improve the health of the scalp and promote hair growth. It can also help to prevent split ends and hair breakage.

Using these home remedies will help reduce how many hairs you lose in a day with lesser side effects.