If you have some old jeans in your closet that you don’t really wear anymore, but at the same time don’t want to give up, then you can change them up so that they will fit with your wardrobe again. Here is how to distress jeans, so that you can give your old jeans new life.
You may think that you do not need to use old jeans from your closet because you can purchase distressed jeans from stores right now. The fit and style of the newer jeans are going to be modern enough to make you look cool, but how sure are you that you are going to find a pair that you actually like?
There are different distressed jeans that you will see being sold in clothing stores right now:
- Jeans that look like they have been ripped by a bear.
- Jeans that do not even look like jeans anymore.
- Jeans that do not look ripped enough.
Instead of allowing yourself to purchase a disappointing pair of jeans, you can learn how to distress jeans on your own, and you will be happier with the results. Take note that you have to know the process of distressing your jeans. Otherwise, you have to throw the jeans away because of mistakes.
Here is How to Distress Jeans:
- Decide how distressed you would like your jeans to be.
- Put on the jeans first and make marks with a pencil on the places that you want to distress. You have to be sure about the placement of the parts that you are going to distress.
- In order to distress your jeans, you may choose to use a power tool gently or you can use a pumice stone in order to get a more subtle rip. This may be a good way for you to release your stress and anger too. The right way to distress your jeans is in a circular motion. You will allow the slits to naturally form.
- Once the slit forms, you can pull the threads apart. This can enhance the appearance of the distressed jeans. Remember to work your way slowly. It’s definitely recommended to start small. This way, you can control how distressed your jeans are going to be.
- Choose if you want to add details to the jeans. If you want to tailor the hems, you may do so. You can also make the corners of the jeans more distressed than the others. If you want to add buttons or patches, why not? You can do anything you want because they are your jeans after all.
- Wash your jeans. You may think that you can use the jeans immediately, and actually you can. However, if you want to make your jeans more natural, or if you want to remove the imperfections you have created, you may wash your jeans first. The more that you wash your jeans, the more disheveled your jeans are going to be.
Now that you know how to distress jeans, you know that it will be easier the next time you want to try it.