Every person’s secret desire is to look their best, including having flawless skin. Having silky smooth skin is a feature that we can be confident of. There is nothing worse than having comedonal acne on visible areas such as the face, back, and arms, except when they appear on your bottom. Even though this area is covered, most of the time, it can ruin a whole look during the summer months when you want to rock short shorts or a banging swimsuit. In this case you definitely need to know how to get rid of butt acne.
Just like the face, back and arms, many people secretly suffer from acne on the buttocks. They are just too embarrassed to speak of it. That’s okay, don’t be embarrassed. We’re going to talk about how to get rid of butt acne. These bumps, folliculitis, are caused by oil and bacteria in the hair follicles, causing blockage. Some can get itchy while others can be quite painful.
How Come Our Butts Can Get Acne?
Sure, we want to know to know how to get rid of butt acne. But you may also be asking yourself, how does butt acne get there to begin with? To counteract the question, “Why wouldn’t you get butt acne?”
Buttocks get sweaty too! When moisture gets trapped because you’re wearing unbreathable tight clothes, a bacterium develops. Add in friction when the skin rubs on our clothes. Not a glamorous situation to be in. This often happens more often for people who exercise regularly. Oil and bacteria builds up which is the perfect combination to form a breakout.
In contrast, the buttocks can get sensitive due to the lack of moisture there. The buildup of dead skin cells happen when the skin is not exfoliated regularly. In addition, dry skin occurs when there is constant rubbing with clothing, which irritates the skin. The pores get clogged, causing a breakout.
How to get rid of butt acne
The important question to ask yourself is not the “why do I get butt acne?” but “how to get rid of butt acne?” Not only that, but how to get rid of butt acne and how do I stop this embarrassing but acne from happening again?
- Wash daily using an anti-bacterial cleanser. Exfoliate once or twice a week to remove the buildup of dead skin cells. Do not over exfoliate as it can cause the acne to get worse.
- After bathing or showering, apply a topical ointment or lotion containing one or more of these ingredients; salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, retinol, zinc, lactic or lauric acid. Avoid heavy lotions and oils – which can be the cause of breakouts.
- Wear clean, loose, breathable clothing to prevent moisture and oil buildup. Shower and change after exercising.
- Avoid harsh chemicals and fragrances; stick with body products and detergents that are hypo-allergenic.
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time. Stand up whenever possible to allow breathing room.
- Apply a damp hot towel to the rear before you bathe or shower. This will help open up the pores.
- The foods that you are eating may contribute to acne. A diet high in dairy ingredients is shown to be the culprit due to the growth hormones and inflammatory properties in them. Better choices for food and milk include soy, almond and cashew, coconut, or oat milk.
- And by all means, never pop acne pimples! For this could lead to bleeding pimples, an infection, and worsening acne.
Do you have any advice on how to get rid of butt acne? Sound off in the comments!