The vast majority of us will have to contend with dry, oily, and/or aging skin at some point in our lives. Luckily, you can optimize your skincare routine to balance oil production, hydrate dry skin, and even restore your skin’s elasticity. Keep reading to discover how to take care of different skin types, and which products you might want to include in your skincare regimen.
Skincare for oily skin
1. Cleanse without overwashing: If you have oily skin, you’ll want to opt for a gentle cleanser–and use it as sparingly as you can. Overwashing can cause the skin to overproduce sebum (oil), resulting in oily skin. We love Dermalogica’s Ultracalming Cleanser for getting rid of dirt and excess oil without completely stripping the skin.
2. Exfoliate and/or resurface: Excess oil and dead skin cells can often block up your pores, making them look larger; this buildup can also result in acne breakouts. To help keep your pores clear of any blockage, you’ll want to exfoliate at least twice per week with a gentle, chemical-free product like Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant. You might also consider resurfacing your skin using a peel, which will more dramatically lift away dead skin cells to clear your pores; our favorite is Insta Natural’s Glycolic Peel.
3. Use a clay mask to absorb oil: Benzonite clay masks can help to lift oil away from your skin, clearing out your pores. Try using Aztec Secret’s Indian Healing Clay once or twice per week, preferably after exfoliating.
4. Moisturize: It might seem counterintuitive to apply moisturizer onto oily skin, but the right product can deliver vital nutrients that help to balance your skin’s oil production. Try using 100% Pure’s Hydra Drench Cream, which is designed specifically for oily skin; or consider using pure jojoba oil, which is so structurally similar to sebum that it can fool your skin into producing less oil.
Skincare for dry skin
1. Cleanse with an oil cleanser: Harsh cleansers can strip your skin of its natural oils and irritate its surface. If you suffer from dry skin, you should consider a gentler, oil-based cleanser to keep your skin clear of debris without causing further dryness. Try Burt’s Bees’ Facial Cleansing Oil with Coconut & Argan Oils.
2. Exfoliate to smooth out rough skin: When your skin is dry, it can take on a rough, flaky texture that makes it extremely hard to apply a smooth coat of foundation. Buff away dead skin cells and smooth your skin to perfection using a product like Origins’ Original Skin Retexturising Mask with Rose Clay. Exfoliating your skin will also prep your pores to receive a moisturizer.
3. Boost hydration with the right face mask: We love Andalou Naturals’ Instant Hydration Hydro Serum Facial Mask.
4. Find daytime and nighttime moisturizers that work for you: If you have extremely dry skin, a nighttime moisturizer might not be enough–but nobody wants to wear a heavy moisturizer all day long. Mix and match moisturizers to find the right combo: We recommend a light product like 100% Pure’s Hydra Drench Cream for daytime wear (including underneath makeup), and a heavy-duty product like Morning Song Gardens’ Bee Balm Face Cream for use at night.
Skincare for aging skin
1. Use an anti-aging cleanser to lift away dead skin cells: Shop for a cleanser that gently resurfaces your skin, like Origins’ Plantscription Angi-aging Cleanser. By clearing away dead skin cells, you’ll brighten your complexion and clear your pores, allowing serums and moisturizers to sink into your skin.
2. Seek out products that are rich in antioxidants: Whether you’re shopping for a serum, moisturizer, or toner, check the ingredients list for essential oils like rosehip seed oil, carrot seed oil, and pomegranate oil–which all contain high levels of antioxidants. These nutrients will help to fight free radicals in your skin, and encourage cell regeneration. You can also buy essential oils in their pure form, like Mountain Rose Herbs’ Rosehip Seed Oil.
3. Use a firming mask to restore your skin’s texture: No skin product can literally turn back the clock, but the right face mask could help to restore hydration and elasticity to your skin–resulting in a firmer, more youthful appearance. We recommend Andalou Naturals’ Instant Lift & Firm Hydro Serum Facial Mask.
4. Consider a serum foundation: Serum foundations tend to provide lighter coverage than a conventional foundation product. However, they’re packed with healthy ingredients such as plant extracts, so they’ll work to boost your skin’s appearance while the foundation evens your skin tone. We suggest shopping for a product that’s colored using plant pigments instead of artificial dyes, like Juice Beauty’s PHYTO-PIGMENTS Flawless Serum Foundation.
Camille Bond is a freelance writer based in New York City. She has interned in the film industry and the publishing industry, as well as for a political campaign. When it comes to the world of beauty and wellness, she loves researching natural skincare brands, concocting DIY recipes, and discovering new mediation techniques!