There’s no better way to complete a make-up look than with a pair of fluttery, flirty eyes. However, if you’re tired of testing out mascaras and want a more long-term solution for keeping your lashes long and full, you might be thinking about a lash lift or lash extensions – but which option is right for you?
What is a Lash Lift?
A lash lift is a simple procedure – think of it like a curly perm, but for your lashes! Using a teeny-tiny curling tool, a lash lift procedure curls your lashes from the root to the tip, giving you long, fluttery lashes without the need for any extension. There are many different types of curling tools used to perform lash lifts, all of which offer a different shape or style – you and your aesthetician should discuss beforehand what shape you’re after. Most treatments also dye the lashes to help highlight the lift and give a no-mascara “mascara” look to your lashes.
How long does a lash lift last?
When performed correctly, an eyelash lift can last for up to 4-6 weeks. That’s a lot of time saved in the morning hastily applying mascara and waiting for your eyelash curler to work its magic, right?
Lash Lift: Pros
- Natural look – No more mascara clumping! With a lash lift, your lashes will always appear much more natural than with mascara or a lash extension.
- Less maintenance – Once your treatment has been performed, lash lift maintenance is next to zero: avoid mascara for the 48 hours after your treatment, and you’re good to go!
- Comfortable – Unlike a lash extension or false lashes, which can often be itchy or irritating, a lash lift is super comfortable – after all, they’re your own lashes!
Lash Lift: Cons
- Less dramatic than eyelash extensions – If you’re looking for an exaggerated lash look, a lash lift might not be your ideal choice. A lash lift provides a mostly natural-looking lash style.
- Requires tint – To achieve the full effect, a lash lift typically involves dyeing the eyelashes after curling to give a fuller, sleeker finished look. If you’re allergic to tints and dyes or don’t like the idea of putting harsh chemicals near your eyes, a lash lift might not be for you.
What are Lash Extensions?
If a lash lift is like a perm for your eyes, lash extensions are just like hair extensions! Lash extensions are the ideal choice for when you need a more glam finish or you simply fancy a more exaggerated lash look.
Using synthetic fibers, lash extensions are applied to the lash line using semi-permanent glue. The procedure can be a bit long, as every lash is applied individually. The end result is a full, Hollywood-style pair of lashes that don’t even need mascara.
How long do lash extensions last?
If the treatment is performed correctly, lash extensions can last up to 6 weeks. In order to maintain your lash extensions, try not to irritate them with mascara and use a lash conditioner to keep them silky soft.
Lash Extensions: Pros
- Fuller, more dramatic lash look – With lash extensions, the results are in no way subtle! Your lashes will appear immediately fuller, more voluminous, and any eye look will be dramatically exaggerated.
- No need for mascara – The results from lash extensions often mean that you don’t even need to apply mascara in the 6 weeks following your treatment. Think of all that time saved getting ready!
Lash Extensions: Cons
- Uncomfortable – Unlike a lash lift, lash extensions use synthetic fibers to create a fuller, more voluminous lash look. This gives way to potential irritation, either along your lash line or in your eyes, especially if the treatment is performed cheaply by a novice aesthetician.
- More expensive – Lash extensions are typically the most expensive procedure when it comes to salon lash treatments, with some salons charging anything from $100-$500 for one procedure.
Which is better, a Lash Lift or Lash Extensions?
When it comes to choosing between a lash lift and lash extensions, everything depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for a simple boost to your current lashes or a more natural, lifted look, a lash lift should be enough to give you the results you want. If you’ve got an important formal event coming up, such as a wedding, important birthday, or black-tie event, you might prefer to opt for lash extensions to get that exaggerated, red-carpet look for your eyes.
You Might Also Like: Our Go-To Mascaras for Every Need, Get Ready to Fill Your Amazon Cart with the Top 8 Eyeshadow Palettes, Get Salon Quality Lash Extensions at Home, How Do You Remove Eye Makeup Without Losing Lashes?