Makeup For Older Women
As we get older, many of us are forced to adapt our makeup routine in response to natural changes in our skin. There’s no need to sweat if you’re wondering how you can use makeup to best complement your skin throughout the years. In this post, we’ll go through some useful tips and tricks for makeup on mature skin.
Face Makeup for Mature Skin
The texture of our skin changes as we age. Our skin can become rougher in texture, can lose its elasticity, and can develop fine lines and wrinkles. These skin changes make it harder to apply face makeup. Using the wrong makeup on mature skin can cause it to sink into fine lines and flake on dry, rough skin potentially making you look older. However, a few simple tricks can help to prep mature skin for the smoothest possible layer of foundation.
We recommend exfoliating your skin up to three times per week and using a nightly serum for mature skin. Incorporating these into your routine will help prep your face for optimal makeup application. We recommend using a gentle exfoliant like Origins GinZing Refreshing Scrub Cleanser (featuring revitalizing ginseng and coffee) to resurface and condition your skin. Double down and follow up with a vitamin and mineral-rich serum like 100% Pure’s Restorative Sea Culture Replenishing Serum to promote supple, evenly-toned, smooth skin.
Before applying foundation, we also recommend using a light moisturizer like Ursa Major’s Force Field Daily Defense Lotion to protect your skin against UV rays and lock in hydration throughout the day. Next, prep your skin for that foundation with a primer like Dermalogica’s SkinPerfect Primer. The right primer will smooth fine lines and help blur imperfections, allowing your foundation to apply flawlessly over your skin.
Finally, make sure to pick out a foundation that’s formulated to benefit and highlight mature skin. We love Hourglass’ Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint. This skin tint provides a medium-coverage finish and features hyaluronic acid to plump your skin and promote moisture retention.
Dos and Don’ts for Mature Skin
- DO keep a concealer on hand: The right concealer can help to correct redness and dark spots. We love MAC Cosmetics Select Moisturecover, a moisturizing concealer that blends easily into foundation. A dab of concealer under your eyes can also help to wake up tired eyes and brighten dark circles.
- DON’T skip the lip primer: Lip primer might seem like overkill, but without it, lipstick can bleed into fine lines around your mouth. We recommend prepping with Bite Beauty’s Line & Define Lip Primer to keep your lip color in place throughout the day.
- DO experiment with lighter eyeshadow colors: Lighter eyeshadow colors can help to brighten up your eye area and make your eyes pop and brighten your skin.
- DON’T bother with liquid liner: Pencil eyeliners tend to have subtler, softer effects; liquid eyeliners can be harsh in comparison, especially on mature skin.
- DO highlight your cheekbones: A highlighter like RMS Beauty’s Living Luminizer can help you to brighten up your skin and draw attention to your cheekbones.
Keep in mind that all of the tips above are only recommendations and that everyone’s skin is different. Whatever look you choose to rock, we’ll be cheering you on!
Leave a Reply