Have you ever used a lip gloss and thought; ‘I wish it had a better taste, or prettier color, or a sweeter smell.’ If yes, now is the time that you learned how to make your own lip gloss, in the comfort of your own home. Other than meeting your precise needs, homemade lip gloss is healthy for it’s usually made using natural ingredients that leaves your lips looking gorgeous and feeling soft. Basically, there are all kinds of recipes that you can adopt in creating your lip gloss. But, right now, we are only going to focus on a general one:
Coconut oil, beeswax, Vitamin E tablet, essential oils like lemon, blueberry, grapefruit, peppermint, almond and strawberry-kiwi oils, artificial color(s) and glitters.
You’ll also need a heat-safe measuring cup, bamboo skewer, small container(s) – 1 ounce, disposable medicine dropper, washi tape and labels.
- Place the coconut oil inside the measuring cup, add grated beeswax on top of it and prick and squeeze your Vitamin E capsule to let its oil drip into the measuring cup. Next, heat the measuring cup for 30 seconds in a microwave and stir with a bamboo skewer. Continue this procedure (heating for 30 seconds and stirring) up until everything melts. This process (melting of the key ingredients) takes 2-4 minutes. Always be wary of the amount of beeswax being used for using too much might make the lip gloss less glossy.
- If you are interested in making colorful and glittery lip gloss, then, you could add Kool Aid or scrapings of your favorite lipstick and glitters to the above mixture.
- If you want to make just one lip gloss flavor, you can go ahead and add your preferred essential oils. If not, you could first pour the above mixture into different heat-safe measuring cups. To prevent the essential oils from evaporating during the heating process, they should be added after you are done melting the base ingredients.
- Since some of the flavors are a lot stronger than others, you ought to be cautious of how much you use. Examples of highly flavored flavors include mint, citrus and cinnamon while the likes of coconut and vanilla are a little milder. It’s also worth noting that all of these flavors get stronger after the lip gloss has solidified.
- When everything is ready, pour or use a disposable medicine dropper/syringe to fill in the liquid lip gloss into the 1 ounce container and let it cool. This may take 15-30 minutes. Once it has cooled, test to see if it meets your expectations. If not, you can make some adjustments, like add more flavor. If it’s okay, pour the rest of it into the small contains and refrigerate them for a few hours so that they can solidify.
- Lastly, put labels on them to indicate their names or flavoring and, use washi tape to decorate the container(s).
- Always remember that it’s okay to make a few errors during the first time. All the same, you shouldn’t be afraid of experimenting with other ingredients and in different proportions as it’s will be both fun and eye opening.