Wine face: Put down the vino, fix your complexion
After a stressful day at work, a glass of wine, or two, can be a great way to relax. A few glasses a day seems harmless enough. However, you could be wreaking havoc on your complexion! Learn more about the symptoms and causes of “wine face,” and how much wine you can safely consume.
Symptoms of wine face
If you are concerned about wine face, watch out for symptoms including lines or redness around the eyes, eyelids that are droopy in appearance, pores that are enlarged, dehydrated skin with feathery lines on your cheeks, or red cheeks and nose.
Even though the term for this complexion issue is wine face, really drinking any kind of alcoholic beverage can cause it. The drink dehydrates your skin and makes wrinkles and fine lines stand out. When you stop drinking, you will notice the lines lift and lighten as your skin becomes rehydrated.
Sugar is very damaging to protein collagen. Alcohols are high in sugar content so your skin loses its elasticity making your pores bigger and your eyelids droop.
Alcohol is going to have a direct effect on your liver. In any instance, if you have a problem with the liver, you will be able to see it in your face. When your liver is having trouble processing the alcohol you are consuming, you will see a red area between your brows and deep lines. If your tongue is purple, there is a good chance your liver is in danger as well.
Another effect alcohol has on the body is the way it inhibits the enzymes that you use to fight the inflammatory process that destroys the skin. After a few glasses, the process is no longer working properly and you will see a flushed color on your chin and cheeks.
In the event your capillaries on the nose and cheek dilate, you are bringing more blood to your skin’s surface. This can cause a permanent reddish look. You can get dilated capillaries from alcohol, but if you eat spicy food and drink hot beverages, it can be noticed more quickly.
Recommended wine intake
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with wine face, doctors recommend that you take a break for at least three weeks from any drinking. Your stomach will have time to balance out again before you go back to enjoying a casual glass of wine. Stick with an 80/20 schedule abstaining from alcohol 80% of the time but indulging in a low sugar drink like sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, or merlot for the remaining 20% of the time.
When the way your complexion looks is an important factor in your life, it’s important to keep your alcohol intake in balance. You can eliminate the problem altogether by cutting alcohol out completely. If you would rather sip on a glass of vino once and a while, follow the recommended guidelines to keep your skin looking young and fresh.
Jessica Walrack is a gal from California who loves to write. She has been freelance writing for 4 years while traveling the world. Jessica specializes in travel, fashion. health, and all things beauty-related.